Restorative Pet Care & Dog Training
"All dogs are therapy dogs. Most are just freelancing."
When we humans do what's required of us to fulfill our pets’ needs (not only to survive but to thrive), we end up practicing such important life and leadership skills as patience, boundary-setting, follow-through, discipline, consistency, positive projection, forward-thinking, confidence, perseverance, creativity, manifestation, and clear, calm communication. At Heel 2 Heal, our job is to help you and your pets bring out the best in one another by practicing this type of mutually-beneficial care and need-fulfillment. It's UP TO THE HUMANS to start this health-and-wellness-ball-rolling, so allow us to guide you in becoming your best self as a pet parent! We offer one-on-one virtual coaching sessions, and also small, interactive Zoom courses for you and your pets to engage in together.
The Restorative Pet Care Course
This is a virtual 8-Week Class, during which you'll learn how best practices in Pet Care can amount to the same in Self-Care! Session topics include:
- Intro to Restorative Pet Care: During this initial session, we'll get to know each other (and each other's pets). We'll cover the course outline and learn core principles of restorative pet care and dog handling
- Silence, Movement & Sound: The art and science of effective human-canine conversation
- Practice Makes Progress: Science-based animal training as a vehicle for learning patience, humility, grace and gratitude
- Yours, Mine & Ours: Setting Boundaries and Cultivating Interdependence in Our Relationships with Pets (includes crate training and PLACE training; plus utilization of functional rewards, i.e. a dog's earned access to space on furniture, their meals, entry or exit through doorways, etc.)
- Rules, Rituals & Responsibilities: Productively managing our pets' time and guiding their behavior with structure and guidelines in the household
- Walk It Out: Confidence-building & self-empowerment on both ends of the leash
- Conditioning & Counter-Conditioning: Changing our perception and changing what is within our power to change; and helping our pets do the same
- Pawsitive Coping: Impulse Control and Safe Behavior Alternatives to reactivity (on both ends of the leash)
The Pawsitive Coping Skills Course
This virtual, 8-week course feels more like a series of small, intimate & supportive discussion groups, with specialized guidance and instruction to help you heal from PTSD and/or substance use issues; we utilize the bond between you and your pets as the foundation for this growth. We'll show you how to cope safely with triggers to substance use, or other addictive or compulsive behaviors, plus co-occurring disorders to PTSD, like depression and anxiety. Your dog will also be learning alongside you!
ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT, WE ADVISE TAKING THE RESTORATIVE PET CARE COURSE FIRST.
- Intro to "Seeking Safety": We utilize a customized adaptation of this curriculum for the PCS course. We will also go over the course outline and get to know each other and each other's pets.
- Additional Treatment Themes Include: PTSD: Taking Back Your Power; Asking for Help, Detaching From Emotional Pain (Grounding); Red & Green Flags; Taking Good Care of Yourself; Healing from Anger; Recovery Thinking; and Creating Meaning, etc.
Dog Handling & Behavior Modification
AKC Title Prep & Testing
Service Dog Tasks
Fundamental Tenets of Our Approach:
- Loving communication, need-fulfillment, energy management, and healthy (interdependent) relationship dynamics between dogs and their family/pack members, are fundamental to setting (dogs + people) up for success.
- Addressing our dogs' undesirable behavior requires a keen awareness of our own; and a willingness to change personal behavior patterns in order to manifest what we hope to see in our dogs'.
- Our approach is equal parts science-based and instinct-driven.
- Puppy fundamentals, including potty training & crate training
- Basic obedience commands using positive reinforcement
- Walking on a loose leash
- Integrating a new pet into the household
- Establishing boundaries and providing structure
- Developing healthy behavior patterns with consistent rules and daily rituals
Addressing Problem Behaviors
- Excessive barking
- Reactivity (i.e. lunging, barking, growling, on or off leash, in response to various triggers)
- Separation anxiety & associated destructive behaviors
- Not listening or following directions
- Counter-surfing; getting into the trash, etc.
Prep & Testing
- AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy
- Canine Good Citizen (CGC)
- Canine Good Citizen Advanced (CGCA)
- Urban Canine
- Trick Dog
- Therapy Dog
Service Dog Tasks
We provide consultation and training for individuals who wish to raise and/or train their own service dogs, for assistance with the following conditions:
- Physical disabilities
- Hearing impairment
- Diabetic or seizure alert
- Therapy Dog